Personal SWOT

My strengths during this project have included the initial concept, I wasn’t afraid to try something new this semester and I knew projection mapping would be a challenging and rewarding digital context to work within.

My overall presentation and design has improved greatly from last semester and ‘The Envision Cube Online’ is the highlight of all my work, the website reflects my personal style, as well as the themes and branding throughout the project, the navigation and quality of content matches the expectations found in a final project.

Some of my weaknesses could include the final exhibition design, unfortunately the entire cube could not be projected as previously discussed and this initially put my motivation down, however it did allow for an opportunity to create the documentary, this wasn’t something I originally thought about.

Furthermore, the playback of the documentary, in terms of the screen flickering when being recorded lowers the clarity and presentation of the final work, some of this was improved in post-production, however perhaps in a larger setting or industry equipment, such as the cameras found in the TV studio, this could be improved upon, something I should have planned.

One opportunity the project presented me included making use of the photographical skills I already had, my work in freelance photography meant most participants felt comfortable with me taking their photo and this allowed for easier content collection.

A further opportunity came from understanding the difference between generations and what can be learned from this, various opinions and dreams differed based on how old the individual was. The older generation looked forward to retirement plans, where as a young participant idealised a future filled with love, kindness and acceptance.

A threat I faced during this project was time management, working on two separate modules lead to fitting in parts of the project as it went, including the various photoshoots, exhibition time and website building. However, this was managed reasonably well and only caused a mild level of stress.

A final threat came from construction and set up of the cube itself, plywood is a thin material that can break if too much pressure is applied, there were several moments where the whole cube nearly broke beyond repair, including almost collapsing during the exhibition recording, this would have been costly and time consuming, if it weren’t for the constant maintaining of the cube.

About Jack Lilley

2nd Year student, studying Digital Media and Multi- Camera production. The aim is to work within visual effects and film/ T.V work but for now I'm letting my own creative mind do all the work.